Thursday, May 17, 2012

Strawberry Rhubarb: So Hot Right Now.

We always joke about food that hipsters have deemed "so hot right now" in our household. Winter 2012 was grapefruit. Spring seems to have brought rhubarb, honeysuckle, & star anise. I decided to try my hand with an ingredient I'd never used before in form of a pie to celebrate my Dad's 60th birthday. I love a challenge. Particularly an ingredient challenge. Procuring 2 pints of the last of the fresh spring strawberries & a hand full of rhubarb stalks I set to work with a favorite food blogger's recipe in hand. If you've ever made a pie from scratch you know it can get messy hence lack of process photos. It was well worth the time and was a hit. If you live in a little cooler climate than me, snatch up some fresh berries & get to baking!

{in the oven she went}

{final product. pretty proud of my first lattice attempt}
Want to try your hand at the Smitten Kitchen best strawberry rhubarb pie ever? Find the recipe here!

2 comments:

Belle on Heels said...

It looks fabulous! Rhubarb is something I've never tried, but always wanted to. I made Smitten Kitchen's red wine chocolate cake last night. Wowza!!!

Princess Freckles said...

In Michigan, we're just getting into Strawberries and Rhubarb! Martha Stewart has a recipe for Rhubarb Upsidedown Cake. made it last year and it was "SOOO HOT!" ;)