Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Small Space, Big Style

One element of design I find myself harping on time and time again with clients & friends is "you don't have to spend a million bucks to make it look that way." Often times the pieces you see in magazines, while showstoppers, aren't practical and don't fit into a budget. I loved {the now defunct} Domino as much as the next person but found so many of the curated pieces just way out of touch. There are certain things you should make a substantial budget commitment to that will lay the foundation for the decor of every future space. Paint can be changed and throw pillows can be tossed, but a well built sofa can be recovered many times and fit into many spaces.

I was thrilled to see one of my long time favorite design bloggers Sanity Fair entered into the yearly Apartment Therapy "Small Cool Contest." She shared her high impact "mini palm beach" style in her 425 SF abode. I was THRILLED to see her shared secrets for achieving her high style space. Many of her purchased pieces even fit into a shoestring budget. It is the perfect balance of classic & trendy, high & low, beautiful & practical. Congrats to her completed project and bravo to featuring high design for the budget minded!


 A curated collection of plates hang above a antique store table & ballard chairs. The desk is from home decorators collection, mirror is vintage, & lamp is from crate & barrel!

{Living room pieces range from Ikea to Etsy}
{I love the drama created with a Homegoods mirror & Ikea frames filled with bold magazine ads!}


{Read about all her sources & see the original photos on www.sfair.blogspot.com}

3 comments:

Belle on Heels said...

I am just dying over this space. I actually looked up the desk on Home Decorators when I first saw it! So chic.

Princess Freckles said...

I saw this on Pinterest, then Apartment Therapy, and couldn't agree with you more! Such a beautiful apartment and practical on a budget. Sometimes, even when there is no or a generous budget, practicality goes out the window. What's the point? One still must live in the space.

I'm also pretty obsessed with the paint color.... trying to get my husband to repaint our guest room. We'll see! :)

Anonymous said...

Love this space. It's nice to see bold colors too.