Friday, July 26, 2013

{Zero through Three} Barefoot Baby Essentials


The cliche is true: time flies when you're having fun (or are sleep deprived, dealing with lots of change, etc, etc.) It is fun and the months have flown. I feel like a great deal of necessary baby gear is used in a blink, then becomes obsolete. I've come up with a list of a few of our favorite things used in the first few months of this little guys arrival!
{One, Two, Three, & Four ... He's growing so much!}






1. Mom's on Call. We've been using the MOC method for baby boy's schedule since about one month old. It has worked wonders. Now at 4 months of age he is sleeping around 12 hours a night, & his daytime schedule has become very routine. They have a very helpful i-phone app for quick reference too. I bought the 0-6 month book on my kindle app, and think I will get a paper copy when its time for the 6 month + edition. 

2. OXO Candella Zoom. I saw this on one of my very favorite baby blog newsletters, Lucie's List. One sleepless night before his big arrival I ordered my amazon wish list on a whim, and boy was I glad I did! Perfect amount of light to check on baby & not trip! I had hubby bring it to the hospital too so I could pick the baby up to nurse in the middle of the night without turning on the bright overhead lights.

3. I've started tying a set of rings in the bow on every baby shower gift I give. Perfect for tethering toys, pacis, & just for little grasping hands.

4. Swaddle Me sleep sacks. After week 2 of running on low sleep I needed something fool proof for the middle of the night. I never quite got the hang of the hospital baby burrito method, & the miracle blanket just didn't work for us. These are foolproof.

5. Registering for & selecting bottles requires a PHD. There are so many options out there it's easy to get overwhelmed. Born Free were compared to the Doctor Browns everyone loves without the pain-in-the-fanny cleaning methods. My crunchy side also liked they had glass options, but I ended up going with the plastic & I'm glad I did. 

6. White noise machine. It's part of our nap & bedtime routine. Works like a charm, & I don't feel like husband & I have to be quiet as church mice after the baby goes to bed at 7:30PM.

7. Aiden & Anais muslin, well, everything. We're a big fans of the light weight blankets for tummy time, travel, & just in general. The burpy bibs are genius & oh so soft. 

8. I was gifted a Hooter Hider at my shower & boy did it come in handy. I started using it day one in the hospital when we were attempting to get into our nursing groove while entertaining visitors. It quickly became a staple in my diaper bag during the "oh the places you'll nurse" escapades.

9. Fisher Price Jungle Mat. This by far has been Ford's favorite thing, and still is. There are tons of different mat's on the market, but this one must have some kind of baby fairy dust included. Everyone I know whos used it loves it. Keep the bag it comes in if you plan on traveling with it!

10. Is it possible to love a trash can? I think so. Our Ubbi pail is perfect and flexible. It contains the smell. You don't have to use any fancy trash bags as liners. They make washable wet bags for cloth diapers. It's dog proof! I only wish it were a double for both cloth & disposable diapes for those of us who use both. 

A few other favorites from our registery that didn't make the top 10:
-Moby Wrap & Baby Bjorn (though I've got my eye on a Ergo!)




use code: KATE6016
Buy Baby Items at Diapers.com
New customers to Diapers.com, Wag.com or other Quidsi sites only. $20 maximum discount. Subject to change or cancellation.

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kate said...

I always recommend the swaddle blankets with velcro. I do not have the time or energy to deal with the kids that have to be tucked in and tied and all that!