Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Nursery Reveal.

4 days after we learned my career-gal condo (turned newlywed nest) was under contract, we learned we were expecting. I had visions of a yet-to-be-found new home dancing in my head, & in that home, a nursery. I was over the moon with the prospect of having a whole new genre to get to work on (occupational hazard.) I was drawn to all sorts of fabulous kiddie fabrics previously overlooked on trips to the fabric showrooms. I thought I wanted a non-traditional nursery with touches of modern style. I had the beginnings of a design plan in my head & I was jazzed.
The designer honeymoon period disappeared & reality set in. We were going to have lots of expenses with our bundle of joy & my work productivity was going to drop. I needed to be stylish, practical, & budget conscious. I've always said anyone can make a room look like a million bucks if they spend it, but it takes true talent & a great eye to make it look like you spent a million when in fact you did it on a shoestring.
CHALLENGE ACCEPTED.
Once we heard the words "it's a boy!" I knew the blue room across the hall could stay that color & I would build a color palette around it. I'm quite proud of the space I created on a dime. With a little creativity, elbow grease, & planning ahead I was able tailor make the perfect room for our little one, reasonably.
{I love my blogger recommended Little Castle glider  from Walmart.}
{I couldn't resist the baby animal prints for above the crib.}
{We repainted the dresser that was in my Mom's room when she was a little girl! The lamp was in my nursery when I was little.}
{The changer was found second hand & is the perfect height for those many diaper changes.}
{The 3 little pigs print hung in my Dad's nursery & my nursery!}
{Re-purposed baby shower decor is the perfect finishing touch for the little man's door.}
{Pete loves the nursery & hangs out in there quite a bit!}

I'm thrilled with the results. It's cozy & comfortable...the perfect space for a little boy. I was able to stretch my budget by making purchases during sale times (hello Black Friday & post Christmas sales!) & re-imagining vintage family pieces. I awakened my recessive crafting gene by making a mobile & zushed some plain white curtain panels with grosgrain ribbon and rick-rack. 

4 comments:

KatiePerk said...

So cool! I love the mobile and that you made it. How special to have family pieces in there as well as new treasures. It looks awesome!

Sweet Simplicity said...

Very cute! I love the colors!

Wendy said...

I love the way it turned out. Mixing in the old with the new creates a very special room for the little one.

Nat said...

Love it!! All the details are perfect.