Friday, July 13, 2012

Vintage Elements in a New Light {A Guest Room Refresh}

I find, both personally & with my clients, a lot of time those little things that are beyond our control light the fire beneath us for a little refreshing. Once the makeover nears completion, you wonder to yourself "why didn't I do this a long time ago?" This guest room project started with a leak in the ceiling that would require a little handy work and a fresh coat of happy yellow paint. The fresh coat of paint led to to little zushing and voila! The pieces you've had for what seems like forever have a brand new attitude.

This room started with an old fashioned wrought iron bed, a warm neutral chair, a needle point rug, & a small feminine bedside table. I pulled colors from the rug and chair and created a color palate for the room. I wanted to introduce a little bit of grey to offset the warm gold, green, & lilac to "twist" & freshen up the traditional colors. Benjamin Moore's "Yellow Iris" created a warm golden happy yellow on the walls, which is hard to see from these photos (sorry!). To be mindful of budget I selected a quilt & bed skirt from pottery barn and opted to introduce the more tailored & custom look in the form of pillows. With some new artwork, lamps, & crystal knobs to add a little sparkle to the dresser the look is complete. A clean refreshed  take on vintage pieces made myself and the client smile!
{Euro Shams in a Duralee "Pagoda" Print & Bolster in Lee Jofa's "Belgravia"} 
{The same fabric used for the bolster on the bed ties in the side chair. A quatrafoil table adds a touch of whimsy} 

{New crystal knobs from Anthropologie transformed a "stodgy" dresser into  a whole new piece!}

{A bird cage with a fern added a little life to the dresser}

{Please excuse my less than stellar iphone photos. It's a goal to have a nicer camera in the near future...baby steps!}

3 comments:

Wendy said...

Beautiful! Love the Duralee and Lee Jofa fabrics.

WorthyStyle said...

I love the Lee Jofa "Belgravia" - what an awesome pattern!

Unknown said...

Love your blog! I think I recognize the guest room :-)

~ Kate