Monday, November 3, 2008

Guest Blogger: The Badger on Pumpkins




I would like to thank everyone for the feedback on my initial post. I was encouraged by your comments and therefore have agreed to do a monthly post. My ongoing theme will be manly items that I believe women may not be familiar with, should understand, and possibly enjoy. And with that being said, the below statement is something we should all agree on -

Pumpkins Are Awesome...

Yes Halloween may be over, but do not dismay Pumpkin Season is still in full swing! The period between my birthday, Sept 16 and Thanksgiving is officially Pumpkin season. I need to mention again that pumpkins are awesome! Not only are they funny looking, potentially giant gourds that come in so many colors, shapes and sizes your brain spins trying to pick the perfect one, but they are also delicious.

The other great thing about pumpkins... Punkin' Chunkin'
This annual event takes place in Delaware, and can be seen on TV. That's right ladies, turn off The Hills, they will still be backstabbing and bitching at each other next week, and turn on the Science channel on Nov 2 @ 3am or 3 @ 3pm

There are 5 different categories, Air Cannon, Trebuchet, Centrifugal, Catapault, and Human powered. I do not have room to show you photographs of all, but please look for yourselves. http://www.punkinchunkin.com/ My personal favorite device is the Trebuchet, there is something cool about this destructive medieval siege tool throwing a pumpkin that technology cannot replace. (I have also seen videos of people throwing cars with these http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA5xwpvhbtY )

The current world record is held by the Air Cannon 'Second Amendment'. It shot a pumpkin 4434.28 ft (that is .84 mile!). If any of you are so inspired to try and break that record, there are female categories to compete in as well.

I did have to include 1 human powered chunker though that was my favorite of last year...

I just have to say that is one of the funniest things I have seen in a while. Remember from my last post that men are immature so something of this nature is to be expected.

The second most important thing to a man is his stomach... so I have to recommend to everyone, and if the Bird has already done this then I will reiterate, the delicious variety of ways pumpkin can be consumed:

First, Pumpkin Beer, from the Cottonwood Brewery in Morrisville NC, also home to Nascar, is best, followed by Michelob's Jack Pumpkin Ale.
Second Pumpkin doughnuts from Krispy Kreme, not Dunkin Donuts. My third word after 'Da' and 'Ma' was 'Do', which meant Doughnut, specifically Krispy Kreme there is none better (Dunkin is for Yankees and people from Ohio), but that is a whole other blog.
Next is pumpkin pie, I don't need to say anything else, if you don't like pumpkin pie then you are not American and need to move to Uzbekistan with the other terrorists.

Bottom line, if you could drink a pumpkin beer, eat a pumpkin doughnut with pumpkin pie, while chunkin a jack-o-lantern you just finished carving, that would be heaven.

6 comments:

The Roaming Southerner said...

I believe my husband would agree with The Badger vehemently. He also would make an ammendment that everything is better with Pumpkin Butter.

k e r r y said...

We actually attended the Pumkin Chunkin one year - it was... "fun." We didn't go back the following year if that tells you anything :)

TLA said...

I dont know about the punkin chunkin...but I will second the vote for pumpkin butter! Williams-Sonoma makes an incredible one, but the Cracker Barrel knock off is just as good for 1/3 the price!

Post Road pumpkin ale is another good one to try. Its made by the same brewery as Brooklyn Brown and you can find it at Peace St market and Whole Foods for sure.

The last bit of pumpkin goodness I have to share is pumpkin caramel bread pudding...if you want the recipe for this perfect fall comfort dessert, let me know!

Yours in mutual pumpkin love!

Cas said...

Badger...now that was funny. I have never been to a punkin chunkin.

I do agree with the pumpkin beer though. Blue Moon does a nice seasonal harvest.

KPB said...

Okay - now I love Barefoot Bird's blog but I must say ... Badger I do look forward to your posts. You are too funny! I love pumpkins as well. I get soo excited about going to the Farmers Market and buying them as well as the fun pumpkin ales that come out! However I dont know about pumpkin chuckin' - I think it would have to be one of those things you must experience in person. Not sure if the tv would do it justice.

Y'all Spoken Here said...

This reminds me of David Letterman dropping watermelons and BIG pumpkins of the top of the Ed Sullivean theater building in NYC. I can't say just why, but there is something very funny about watching large vegetables go SQUISH/SPLAT!Must be a personality flaw that some of us have, but it cracks me up! Wasteful, but very funny!